Meal Program Services
Marion Senior Services has been delivering meals to the homebound since 1973. Our first group of volunteers saw a need in our community and delivered 13 meals to senior "neighbors." Their caring idea became the foundation of our agency, which now provides more than 400 daily meals.
Home Delivered Meals
Our goal is to provide a hot, noontime meal, Monday through Friday. These meals meet 1/3 of the adult daily nutritional requirements. Meals are delivered by volunteer and staff drivers as well as Marion Transit Service drivers. Our dedicated staff of volunteer drivers delivers the bulk of our meals. An additional feature of our program is to provide a daily check on our clients' well being. This short visit is often the highlight of an isolated and lonely client's day.
Who Qualifies for Home Delivered Meals?
1. Seniors 60 and over who are frail and homebound.
2. Adults under the age of 60 who may need meals on a temporary basis while recovering from an illness.
3. Disabled adults under age 60.
Adults who are the caregiver for a spouse who no longer drives may still qualify to receive a meal.
How Do I Apply?
When referring yourself or someone else, you need to call (352) 620-3501 and speak to our Intake Coordinator who will take all the basic information. From there the referral will come to the meals department. A visit will be scheduled to complete the required application. This process could take up to one week.
If you are calling on behalf of someone else, it is a good idea to make sure the person you are referring wants meals. Many times friends and family feel someone needs the meals but the person is not ready.
What If I Drive But Need Meals?
You are invited to participate in any of our 10 Congregate Meals Programs located at ten congregate meal sites throughout Marion County. Activities and speakers are also part of this program. Congregate meals are served at the following dining centers. Generally, activities start at 10:00 a.m. and the meal is served at 12 noon. Participants must be 60 years of age or the escort of a 60+ individual.
- Belleview - Belleview Church of Christ
12355 S. Hwy 441
- Flemington - The Thomas Center
18140 N. Hwy. 329
- Forest - St. Joseph's of the Forest Catholic Church
17301 E. Highway 40
- Marion Oaks - Community Center
294 Marion Oaks Lane
- Ocala - Harvey Fellowship Hall
1415 NW 5th Street
- Ocala - Marion Senior Services Center Main Office
1101 SW 20th Court
9am - 1pm
- Silver Springs Shores - Presbyterian Church
674 Silver Road
- Salt Springs - Veterans of Foreign Wars
Post 10208, Highway 314
- Sparr - Sparr United Methodist Church
12990 NE Jacksonville Road
- Weirsdale - Weirsdale Presbyterian Church
16303 SE 137th Court